The big news is that two potential tropical systems are coming this way. Some models show one or both of them barreling straight towards Louisiana.
Guys who want to desiccate beans are asking if they should add acephate to their Gramoxone shot.
The short answer is, yes. Based on the data I have, adding acephate will kill stink bugs and help preserve yield and quality – specifically quality issues that can develop under the conditions that we may be facing next week
Stinkbug injury is exacerbated by weather. Stinkbug feeding causes a mechanical injury point in soybean pod walls, and actually into the soybean. That forms an entryway for moisture and pathogens. So, white mold, purple stain and all kinds of other seed rots will find their way into soybeans through stinkbug injury.
We could wind up with one or maybe even two tropical systems dumping rain on us. If anyone is desiccating near-term, add the acephate.
What about rates? I’ve got data that shows a half-pound is effective. But ifbut you go all the way up to a pound, you’re gaining better control than you will a half-pound. That’s more or less common sense.
But the rate also kind of depends on the situation.
One grower said he sprayed stinkbugs this week, going with acephate and bifethrin as a cleanup shot. Now, he will desiccate beans at the end of the week, probably on Saturday (8/22). He wanted to know if he should add something to the tank for stinkbugs.
I would still say, yes. Orthene does have decent residual activity. But if we wind up with 10 inches of rain, that residual will be gone. I said that if he could reinforce that with another half-pound, he would be doing himself a favor.
In that scenario is a pound needed? Probably not.
In another scenario, a grower said he hadn’t sprayed for 10 to 14. He will apply Gramoxone sometime this weekend. In that situation, his consultant is finding more stinkbugs in the field, both adults and immatures. The numbers aren’t large but stinkbugs are there. In that case, he definitely needs to include acephate and probably go with a pound.
If you want to save a little money in that situation, go with three-quarters of a pound. I wouldn’t go any lower than that. But I would prefer that he applied a pound to make sure enough product is out there. He’ll kill stinkbugs in the field and potentially pick up any that migrate into those soybeans.
So going into this potential storm next week, pu as much protection into place as you can.
If only rains a quarter-inch have you lost anything?
First of all, everything points to far more rain falling than that.
Beyond that, you’re really only out a single acephate application at a cost of $2 to $6 an acre. I know that’s a lot of money over a 1,000 acres. But if we wind up with four to five inches of rain on heavy ground, that will keep people out of the field for two weeks. In the meantime, stinkbugs could pile up in there. Stinkbugs are not going to stop moving because of tropical weather.
Enough Uncertainty As It Is
Here at the end, I don’t want to see anyone lose all the money they’ve put into this crop, especially with the yiled potential many of these fields have.
Add the acephate to the tank.
Tropical forecasts can be uncertain. Storms can easily change tracks. I would love for us to miss this rain, especially for the sake of anyone harvesting. But I don’t feel like that’s going to happen. I’m much more conservative when it comes to things I know for certain. Tropical weather is full of uncertainty.
A half-pound to a pound at the end of the year may help preserve quality enough to avoid heavy docking at the elevator
I know this is kind of a tough decision, and I’ve had to talk to quite a few guys this week about it. If you want to discuss this further, feel free to call. My cell phone number is (318) 498-1283.