The moment we have been waiting for is at hand. That moment of course is the arrival of spring. Well, perhaps more people are waiting for the end of virus concerns, but this is an agriculture blog.
- When the weather forecast started calling for frost Sunday morning, it wasn’t a hard decision to wait for that to pass, at least for planting cotton and peanuts.
- There’s a minor amount of debate whether to start as soon as the frost threat is over, or give it another day or two for warmer conditions.
- By Wednesday, there will be nothing to wait on because it is rated good for planting.
- There are some low 40 degree mornings Monday and Tuesday to keep an eye on. We have had some success planting in chilly weather with a strong warming trend approaching – as long as it doesn’t rain heavily.
- Therefore the green flag might not be until Wednesday, but some may start sooner than that under the caution flag.
- I think we are in good shape. The real silver lining in this whole thing so far has been the relatively drier conditions.
- Our poor stands over the years have been related to too much or untimely rain more so than cool weather or late planting date.
- In addition, our final success has been more related to rainfall during bloom and dry conditions during boll opening regardless of what conditions were like in May or even June.