Genetics, profitability, crop management and soil fertility are a few of the topics on tap for discussion at the 2020 Wiregrass Cotton Expo. The annual Cotton Expo will be held Feb. 14 at the National Peanut Festival Fairgrounds in Dothan, Alabama.
The expo is free to attend and will include several exhibitors and speakers presenting information on a variety of topics.
William Birdsong, an Alabama Extension agronomist, said each year brings a variety of challenges to producers, so the team behind the expo is hoping to tackle topics that will help producers plan for the upcoming cotton season.
“Each year is different and requires different strategies,” Birdsong said. “Many growers learn from one another, and this expo is a place for that to happen. This forum gives them an opportunity to visit and dialogue with other growers, while learning firsthand from scientists and research data in an environment where interaction is encouraged.”
Speakers and Topics
Speakers from as near as Florida, and as far away as College Station, Texas, will be present to share the latest and greatest news in the cotton industry. The luncheon speaker, John Robinson, an economist from Texas A&M, will share a cotton market outlook to round off the expo.
This year’s slate of speakers and topics includes:
- Austin Hagan, Plant Pathologist, Auburn University— Cotton Virus Scouting and Strategies
- Audrey Gamble, Soil Scientist, Auburn University– Cotton Fertility Research
- Steve Brown, Cotton Agronomist, Auburn University– Cotton Update
- Ron Smith, Extension Entomologist, Auburn University– Cotton Pest Management for 2020
- David Zierden, State Climatologist, Florida– Weather Forecasting
- Thomas Kirkland, Cotton Producer– Alabama Cotton Commission Update
In addition to the speakers, several genetics companies will have representatives on-hand at the expo to discuss the many different products and services available to producers.
The Expo begins at 7:30 a.m. with registration and the exhibitor show. The expo will conclude with a sponsored luncheon and a presentation from John Robinson. For more information about the 2020 Cotton Expo, contact William Birdsong at (334) 693-3800 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.