The weather for this week shows freeze warning early in the week today and possibility of rain on Thursday or Friday. The rest of the week shows evening temps in the low to mid 40s and daytime highs in the mid-50s to low 60s. The north areas show about a five degree difference in colder tempertures.
The retail and holiday gift markets are steady and demand is strong, while the commercial/domestic market has softened and some domestic buyers are waiting to see if the price will continue to decline before committing to purchase samples offered.
Currently growers are picking up the remaining pecans on the ground and are getting ready for a second and final sweep of the orchards before finishing up the season which appears to be shorter than in normal years. In some areas Stuarts are not as plentiful as expected and many trees are light with pecans especially in dryland/unirrigated orchards.
A few Blends made it to the market and lots with Stuart Blends (50-57 nut count) 47-48% meat yield sold in a range of about $3.34-3.80 mostly $3.60 per point. Blends with (60-70 nut count) 48-52% meat yield sold in a range of about $3.00-3.20 per point.
Prices paid to growers (late afternoon November 7, 2019 through late afternoon November 12, 2019) at buyers delivery point or F.O.B. the orchard including direct sales to end users, cents per pound in-shell of generally good quality in lots of 20,000 pounds or less unless otherwise stated.
- Cape Fear (deliveries very light) 47-48% meat yield 170-180, yard tree lots 125
- Desirables (deliveries light) export quality 50-52% meat yield 225-235, yard tree lots 145-170 mostly 150
- Elliott (deliveries very light) yard tree lots 150
- Natives/Seedlings (deliveries light) machine harvested 46% meat yield 115, yard tree lots 75-85
- Moneymakers (deliveries very light) 42% or better meat yield 90-108, yard tree lots 70-80
- Stuart (deliveries light) yard tree lots 115-125
- Sumner (deliveries very light) 50-53% meat yield 200-225
Lots over 20,000 pounds including truckloads
- Cape Fear (deliveries very light) 52-53% meat yield 200 45-48% meat yield 170-190
- Desirables (deliveries light) export quality (41-48 nut count) 50-52% meat yield 225-236, 48% meat yield 217-225
- Moneymakers (deliveries light) 42-45% meat yield 90-108
- Schley (deliveries light) (60-70 nut count) 56-59% meat yield 201-207
- Stuart (deliveries light) 46-48% meat yield 185-200 occasional higher
- Sumner (deliveries light) 52-55% meat yield 200-236