The weather for this week in South Georgia shows rather cool mild temps with daytime highs in the 60s to 70s and evening lows mostly in the 40s. The Central and Northern areas should be slightly colder with possible rain for Tuesday, November 12.
The retail and holiday gift markets are steady with demand strong, while the commercial/domestic market has continued on with it’s softening stance and prices are again lower. Some growers are waiting to see if the market will continue to drop and may hold their pecans in storage until it settles down or plan to store them for later sales.
The export business for Asia is slowing down, while import crossings out of Mexico increase. Lighter offerings were available this week and some lots did not sell, as growers are taking their time with bids in hopes of a stronger market occurring soon. A lighter volume for the year is expected and the season may wind down in Georgia by early December.
Prices paid to growers (late afternoon November 5, 2019 through late afternoon November 7, 2019) at buyers delivery point or F.O.B. the orchard including direct sales to end users, cents per pound in-shell of generally good quality in lots of 20,000 pounds or less unless otherwise stated.
- Cape Fear (deliveries very light) 50-52% meat yield 190-200
- Desirables (deliveries light) 50-52% meat yield 180-220 occasional higher, yard tree lots 145-170 mostly 150
- Elliott (deliveries very light) 52-53% meat yield 200-240, yard tree lots 150
- Natives/Seedlings (deliveries light) yard tree lots 75-85
- Moneymakers (deliveries very light) yard tree lots 60
- Stuart (deliveries light) 46% or better meat yield 175-205, yard tree lots 100-125
- Sumner (deliveries very light) 52% or better meat yield 215-225
Lots over 20,000 pounds including truckloads
- Cape Fear (deliveries very light) 50-54% meat yield or better 200 occasional higher
- Desirables (deliveries light) export quality (low 40s nut count) 50-52% meat yield 210-235
- Elliott (deliveries very light) 53% meat yield 210-240 mostly 220-230
- Stuart (deliveries light) 46% or better meat yield 180-205