Chevron Products Company announced Matthew Machicek of Rogers, Texas, and the Rogers FFA as the Grand Champion of the 2019 Delo Tractor Restoration Competition. A dozen of the country’s top high school tractor restoration experts competed for the title in Indianapolis, Indiana during the 92nd National Future Farmers of America (FFA) Convention this week. The company, a Chevron U.S.A. Inc. division, maker the Delo brand of engine oils, lubricants and coolants.
“It is inspiring to see how these students respond when faced with an incredibly complex challenge,” said Dan Holdmeyer, Industrial Sector Manager, Chevron Products Company.
“To rebuild these tractors, our finalists must become historians, marketing professionals, finance managers, leaders, motivators, teammates, mechanics, counselors, time management experts, auditors and more. Some look at the output of this competition as a restored tractor, but we view it as an empowered, confident teen, practiced in life skills that will benefit them for years to come. We are very proud to have supported this program for so long. Congratulations to Matthew and all our finalists.”
Matthew Machicek earned the 2019 Delo Tractor Restoration Grand Champion title for his restoration of a 1962 Oliver 1800 MFWD tractor.
Machicek was awarded $10,000 as the Delo Tractor Restoration Competition Grand Champion. The Reserve Champion title and an award of $5,000 went to Devin Haywood of Hastings, Michigan, for his restoration of a 1970 Farmall 826 Diesel Demonstrator. Ryder Merta of El Campo, Texas took third place and a prize of $3,000 for his restoration of a 1973 Oliver 1365.
The 2019 entries were narrowed down to 12 finalists who presented their projects to a panel of four seasoned tractor restoration experts. Each project was graded on the restoration process, safety precautions, results, documentation and their oral presentation.
The finalists for the 2019 Delo Tractor Restoration Competition were:
- Ben Anderson, Spring Valley, WI: 1947 Allis Chalmers C
- Cody Tschirhart, Medina Valley High School FFA, Castroville, TX: 1971 Case 970 Black Knight Demonstrator
- Devin Haywood, Hastings, MI: 1970 Farmall 826 Diesel Demonstrator
- Dubiski Career High School, Grand Prairie, TX: 1941 Ford 9N
- Eufaula High School FFA, Eufaula, AL: 1953 Ferguson TO30
- Four Rivers Career Center Night Shift, Washington, MO: 1941 Farmall H
- Matthew Machicek, Rogers FFA, Rogers, TX: 1962 Oliver 1800 MFWD
- Ricky Schilling, Fayetteville, TX: 1972 International Harvester 1466 Diesel
- Riley Billings, Floresville, TX: 1969 Case 530
- Ryder Lestrud, Kensett, IA: 1972 John Deere 4020 High Crop
- Ryder Merta, El Campo FFA, El Campo, TX: 1973 Oliver 1365
- Schimke, Paso Robles FFA, Paso Robles, CA: 1945 Farmall A
About the Delo Tractor Restoration Competition
Since 1995, the Delo Tractor Restoration Competition has rewarded the determination, mechanical skills and business savvy of high school tractor restoration experts from around the country. Through the restoration of an antique tractor, participants develop skills applicable to the modern business world. The skills needed for success in the program – equipment mechanics, teamwork, project management, budgeting, planning and marketing – help develop the participants into future leaders in the agriculture community.
All entrants to the Delo Tractor Restoration Competition are required to submit a workbook detailing the entire tractor restoration process – from mechanical overhauls of the engine, transmission and auxiliary and ancillary systems to the external appearance of the tractors.