There is a lot of agreement in the computer weather forecasts that the next 2 weeks will be characterized by warm to hot weather, a lot of sunshine, and almost no chance of rain. Certainly, that can change but for planning purposes, it is encouraging nonetheless for now.
- We continue to get confirmation of a mature crop when we walk in fields, but there are still those examples of fields that are needing more time even though they were planted early and fields that are more ready than you would think.
- Fields that have a lot of regrowth or greenness are the most confusing as they cannot be assessed without a good bit of cutting open bolls to see if the top bolls are good bolls that need more time, or junkie stuff.
- Sometimes, there are no bolls in this green top and the fields are just way past ready.
- All the recipes are working well, and the cotton has been easier to defoliate this year than some other years. With 85 degrees, a quart of prep will do the same job as 48 ounces does in 70 degree weather.
- If you are trying to get the picker in the field quickly, keep your Prep or Finish component high, and if it could sit in the field for 3 weeks before picking, use the higher Dropp or TDZ rates.