Tennessee: 9 Counties Designated Natural Disaster Areas from Floods

Submerged soybeans. Photo: Jeremy Ross, University of Arkansas

Agriculture Secretary Sonny Perdue designated nine Tennessee counties as primary natural disaster areas. Producers in Claiborne, Giles, Grainger, Hamblen, Lake, Lincoln, Montgomery, Shelby, and Tipton counties who suffered losses due to excessive rain and flooding that occurred from Aug. 1, 2018, through March 5, 2019, may be eligible for U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) Farm Service Agency (FSA) emergency loans.

This natural disaster designation allows FSA to extend much-needed emergency credit to producers recovering from natural disasters. Emergency loans can be used to meet various recovery needs including the replacement of essential items such as equipment or livestock, reorganization of a farming operation or the refinance of certain debts.

Producers in the contiguous Tennessee counties of Bedford, Campbell, Cheatham, Cocke, Dickson, Dyer, Fayette, Franklin, Greene, Hancock, Hawkins, Haywood, Houston, Jefferson, Knox, Lauderdale, Lawrence, Marshall, Maury, Moore, Obion, Robertson, Stewart, and Union, along with Lauderdale, Limestone, and Madison counties in Alabama; Crittenden and Mississippi counties in Arkansas; Bell, Christian, Fulton, Todd, and Whitley counties in Kentucky; DeSoto and Marshall counties in Mississippi; New Madrid and Pemiscot counties in Missouri; and Lee County, Virginia, are also eligible to apply for emergency loans.

The deadline to apply for these emergency loans is April 1, 2020.

FSA will review the loans based on the extent of losses, security available and repayment ability.

FSA has a variety of additional programs to help farmers recover from the impacts of this disaster. FSA programs that do not require a disaster declaration include: Emergency Assistance for Livestock, Honeybees and Farm-Raised Fish ProgramEmergency Conservation ProgramLivestock Forage Disaster ProgramLivestock Indemnity ProgramOperating and Farm Ownership Loans; and the Tree Assistance Program.

Farmers may contact their local USDA service center for further information on eligibility requirements and application procedures for these and other programs.

The Latest

Send press releases to Ernst@Agfax.com.

View All Events

Send press releases to Ernst@Agfax.com.

View All Events