Alan Seitz, Nutrien Ag Solutions, Wilcox, Arizona:
“It’s cloudy here and we could see a little shower today (6/10). It has been too cool for this cotton. The replant is up and growing, but overall, the stuff isn’t growing very fast. Thankfully, we finally hit the 90s last week. We’re supposed to be in the mid- to upper-90s this week.
“We’re making thrips applications to try and protect the young plants. We had some chinch bug issues, but they weren’t a big problem.
“We’re making Roundup applications and will soon apply some post-emerge Prowl and Treflan. There are problem areas with bindweed, thistle and morning glory problems.”
Jourdan Bell, Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Agronomist, Amarillo:
“A lot of Panhandle acres have been lost due to the wet, cool spring and cold, windy weather this past weekend. Producers expected to plant 300,000 acres or more north of I-40 and 800,000 across the Panhandle. It’s too early to know exactly how many acres won’t be in cotton, but I would guess it’s easily 30% below what we had expected.
“Cotton that’s up varies from decent to bad. There are several fields with a good stand, but development is very delayed. It is cotyledon to first true leaf. There are many reports of seedling disease and seed rotting in the field. There’s also crusting, resulting in poor emergence and poor stands.
“Some producers are having difficulty deciding whether to keep it, terminate it or replant in another crop. Fertility and herbicide chemistries may limit what can be planted. There are lots of uncertainties. Even though I anticipate herbicide movement after all of the rain, we can’t be sure all of it is gone. There could be significant injury to a subsequent crop if herbicide label restrictions are not followed.
“A number of producers have decided to come back with short-season corn varieties. Many are considering sorghum or sunflower. A few are even talking about planting soybeans into the good soil profile. But soybeans have rarely performed well in the Panhandle region due to overall water requirements.”
Seth Byrd, Oklahoma State University Extension Cotton Specialist, Stillwater/Altus:
“Today (6/10) is the deadline for getting irrigated cotton planted or replanted. There will still be a great deal of dryland planted before the June 20 deadline, especially in the southwest corner of the state. But up north, if folks don’t have a stand by now, they probably need to go with something other than cotton.
“Cotton that’s up is a bit late over most of the state. It goes back to the conditions we’ve had with cool, wet weather. Whether fields didn’t get planted on time or whether they suffered other weather damage, cotton is smaller than we would like to see.
“Considering the conditions, most growers are doing a good job at controlling weeds. They were able to get yellows and residuals applied. The rainfall helped activate those herbicides.
“We’re seeing thrips on the young cotton. Many growers are spraying at first true leaf to control them until plants get to the 4- to 5-true-leaf stage. If guys didn’t use a seed treatment or apply an in-furrow insecticide, they really need to scout for thrips.”
Kerry Siders, Texas A&M AgriLife IPM Agent, Hockley, Cochran & Lamb Counties:
“Our high was only 69 yesterday (6/9). That’s definitely not cotton growing weather. There aren’t enough heat units for it to make any growth. Along with the cold temperatures, we had a north wind at 30 mph with gusts from 40 to 50. We can’t catch a break to move this cotton along.
“My scout crew and I have been looking at fields in eastern Lamb County this morning. Many are still at the cotyledon stage. Several guys were out there with rotary hoes but some lost stands to blowing sand from the high winds.
“Many fields have been replanted a second and third time. There are more weeds than we would like to see. It’s been tough to stay on top of them when you’re trying to get stands established. However, I hate to say it, but those weeds have provided a little cover for the young cotton plants.
“Thrips are not yet a problem. The rains have washed them off. But we’ll be watching closely for them in a week or two.
“The overall bad weather is the story we’ve had since early May. We just to need to get those 80- and 90-degree days to get this cotton going.”