Wearing a respirator is critical for using certain pesticides safely. Under the Worker Protection Standard, employers of pesticide applicators are required to provide annual fit testing and respirator training to employees.
The UMN Extension pesticide safety team has heard concern from employers about navigating WPS requirements and the liability that could accompany fit testing. In response, we’ve created a series of respirator fit testing workshops. These workshops are free and hands-on.
- Respirator selection
- How to conduct a fit test
- Resources for respirator training
- Resources for written respiratory protection plans
- Recommendations for navigating liability
- Change-out schedules for filters / cartridges
- Respirator maintenance
These workshops run from 8:30am – approximately 1:30pm, and lunch will be provided. The ideal audience for these workshops includes co-op health and safety managers, company managers, and rural healthcare providers, but all are welcome!
Farmers are welcome to come and get fit tested starting at 12:30pm.
Workshop locations and dates include:
- Hutchinson, March 26th, Hutchinson Event Center, 1005 MN-15, Hutchinson, MN 55350
- Mankato, March 28th, Historic Blue Earth County Courthouse, 204 S 5th St, Mankato, MN 56001
- Worthington, April 2nd, Regional Extension Office, 1527 Prairie Dr, Worthington MN 56187-5184
- Marshall, April 3rd, Merit Center, 1001 W Erie Rd, Marshall, MN 56258
Please sign up here.