By now most of you know that we have to be trained once again to use the new Auxin Technology. The reason for the training is to update producers on label changes, to satisfy requests from the EPA, and ultimately protect this technology for farmers in Georgia and the southeast.
You have probably already heard about the first opportunity on Wednesday with The Georgia Cotton Commission. After their annual meeting, UGA will be hosting the first 2019 Cotton Production Workshop on January 30th in Tifton. You DO NOT have to go to the Annual Cotton Commission meeting, but if you do, you must visit the website and RSVP for lunch. There is no cost. If you do, call 229-386-3416 or visit The Cotton Commission Website to RSVP. The ‘Dicamba Meeting’ is after the lunch starting at 2:00pm.
Here are the details about the Using Pesticide Wisely Trainings for 2019:
Engenia, FeXapan, XtendiMax
- As mandated by federal labels, one must hold a private or commercial pesticide applicator license to purchase and use these restricted use herbicides. Use is limited to ONLY those persons holding a private or commercial applicator certification. It is no longer permissible for non-certified applicators to apply these products under the direct supervision of the certified applicator.
- Prior to applying these products in 2019, ALL applicators must be trained according to the federal labels. In Georgia, applicators must complete the 2019 Using Pesticides Wisely classroom training. If you attended this training in 2015, 2016, 2017, or 2018, you must re-take the training in 2019.
- Industry applicator trainings are encouraged and beneficial; however, they will not fulfill Georgia’s requirement for auxin training.
- Each label requires certified applicators to document application information. Forms have been designed to help with this challenge and can be found at your local UGA Extension office, from the herbicide registrant, or here.
Enlist Duo or Enlist One
- All persons in charge of in-crop applications (planting through harvest) of Enlist Duo or Enlist One in Enlist cotton or soybean must complete the Using Pesticides Wisely classroom training. If you attended this training in 2015, 2016, 2017 or 2018, you must re-take the training in 2019.