Cotton producers looking for the latest information on cotton production should attend the 2019 Wiregrass Cotton Expo. This is the 20th anniversary for this event. The event is Feb. 14 at the National Peanut Festival Fairgrounds in Dothan, Alabama.
The expo is free to attend and will include several exhibitors and speakers presenting information on a variety of topics.
William Birdsong, an Alabama Extension agronomist, said after the stretch of severe weather at the end of last year’s cotton season, the topics covered at the expo will help producers plan for the upcoming cotton season.
“As we saw with the end of the last cotton season, each year is different and requires different strategies,” Birdsong said. “Many growers learn from one another, and this expo is a place for that to happen. This forum gives them an opportunity to visit and dialogue with other growers while learning firsthand from scientists and research data in an environment where interaction is encouraged.”
Speakers and Topics
The expo is scheduled to have several speakers that will offer their expertise on different topics. A highlight of the expo is the guest luncheon speaker Gary Adams, the National Cotton Council President. He will be speaking on the recent farm bill and what it means for cotton producer.
Additionally, this year’s slate of speakers and topics includes:
- Aaron Wells with the FSA and Alex Vaughn with the NRCS – Farm Program and Irrigation Funding
- Kassie Conner, Plant Pathologist, Auburn University – Cotton Blue Disease
- Steve Li, Extension Weed Scientist, Auburn University – Weed Control Systems
- Ron Smith, Extension Entomologist, Auburn University – Cotton Pest Management Systems for 2019
- David Zierden, Florida State Climatologist – Weather Forecasting
- Thomas Kirkland, Alabama Cotton Commission – Alabama Cotton Commission Update
In addition to speakers, several genetics companies will have representatives at the expo to discuss the products and services they offer.
The Expo begins at 7:30 a.m. with registration and the exhibitor show. The last event of the day will be the sponsored luncheon where attendees will hear from Adams as he discusses the 2019 Farm Bill. For more information about the 2019 Cotton Expo, contact William Birdsong at (334) 693-3800 or by email at email@example.com.