The weather forecast for this week and early next week shows mild temps in the Southern areas with evening lows in the mid 40s to low 60s and daytime highs in the high 70s cooling down to the high 60s with periodic rain in between. In the Central and Northern areas it will be much cooler with evening lows in the 30s and rain expected today and early next week.
Some lots of Stuarts and other Improved varieties are ready to hit the market but some growers are withholding their pecans until the price settles and may put them into cold storage for later sales. Door sales are slow and some offerings are showing signs of embryo rot and excess moisture. Prices are higher for top quality pecans and about steady for door and yard sales.
Offerings of small lots mostly Stuart Blends with 42-46.5% meat yield sold in a range of about $3.89-4.31 per point. Other small lots of Blends with 43.5-48% meat yields sold for about $3.26-3.35 per point. Large lots of Blends with Stuarts and 45% or better meat yield sold in a range of about $3.89-4.04 per point.
The retail gift pack business and the domestic trade is fairly active, as they are busy purchasing from other areas to fill orders until the volume increases. The export trade is expected to increase but is still slow to materialize at this time.
Prices paid to growers (late afternoon November 6, 2018 thru late afternoon November 8, 2018) at buyers delivery point or F.O.B. the orchard including direct sales to end users, cents per pound in-shell of generally good quality in lots of 20,000 pounds or less unless otherwise stated.
- Creek (deliveries insufficient to establish market)
- Desirables (deliveries very light) yard tree lots 120-150 occasional higher
- Elliott (deliveries very light) yard tree lots 115-125
- Moneymaker (deliveries very light) yard tree lots 80-100
- Schley (deliveries very light) yard tree lots 150
- Seedlings (deliveries very light) yard tree lots 75-80
- Stuart (deliveries very light) 46-48% meat yield 161-190, yard tree lots 125
Lots over 20,000 pounds: (including trailer loads)
- Cape Fear (deliveries light) 54% meat yield 230
- Desirables (deliveries light) 47% or better meat yield 221
- Oconee (deliveries very light) 53% or better meat yield 225
- Stuart (deliveries light) 47.5-49.5% meat yield 182-200
- Sumner (deliveries very light) 54% or better meat yield 211