Soil analytics company Teralytic has released a limited number of its wireless soil probes to be delivered in time for the 2019 planting season.
The Teralytic probe contains 26 sensors, including the world’s first wireless NPK sensor. Probes are available worldwide and can be pre-ordered now through the Teralytic website.
“The collection of data in real-time allows growers to make more informed decisions regarding fertilization and irrigation,” says Meagan Hynes, PhD, Teralytic’s vice president of soil science. “I’m also excited about the potential to use fertility and respiration data to evaluate soil health.”
Combining a focus on soil health with AI, machine learning and cloud technologies, Teralytic aims to reduce inputs and save farmers time by diagnosing the soils in real time.
“While drone and camera-based technologies can find problems as they appear on the plants, Teralytic’s probe warns farmers of changes in the soils before they become problems,” says Steven Ridder, founder and CEO of Teralytic.
Teralytic’s sensors continuously check and report on soil quality — 24 hours a day and 365 days a year — so farmers can take action sooner. Capabilities and features include:
- Microclimate sensors measure air temperature, humidity and light.
- Soil sensors measure soil moisture, salinity, soil temperature, pH and NPK.
- Gas sensors measure aeration and respiration.
- Sensors take a snapshot of soil conditions every 15 minutes.
- Probes connect to a gateway through LoRa wireless technology. The gateway sends data to the cloud via either cellular, satellite or a standard internet connection, which can be accessed on any cellular device or desktop computer.
Farmers can look ahead and gain insights about soil’s fertility now and into the future on an easy-to-use dashboard.
The units are available in a 10-probe minimum starter bundle ($5,000 total) for this release, and each additional probe will be $500 each. The price includes the LoRa gateway to connect probes and all the software necessary to run Teralytic’s analytics and generate custom insights.
Teralytic’s wireless soil probes can be ordered here. For more information, email email@example.com.