How Much Rice in 2018?
It’s never too early for an acreage prediction, right? Based on recent questions that’s the case. So my middle of winter projection for Arkansas rice acres is 1.5 million total.
Of that 1.5 million total, we’re probably looking at around 1.25 million long grain acres and 250,000 medium grain acres. Many things will change between now and planting time, particularly commodity prices. We can only work with the knowledge we have at the moment though.
The major concern here of course is that this number of acres will depress prices for the next marketing year. At the same time, soybean and corn prices are not currently that strong to pull acres back away from rice. That could all change in the next two months though.
2018 Rice Farming for Profit
Here is the link to the 2018 Rice Farming for Profit publication. It contains the most requested production recommendations for rice in a single, easily referenceable PDF. This information will also be posted to the Extension rice page. A limited number of printed copies will be available at county offices and winter production meetings.
Results of Arkansas Rice Cultivar Testing, 2015-2017
For those still making cultivar selection decisions, here is the link to Rice Information Sheet No. 177 Arkansas Rice Cultivar Testing, 2015-2017. This contains the final results of the Arkansas Rice Performance Trials (ARPT), Producer Rice Evaluation Program (PREP) on-farm trials, and DD50 Planting Date studies.
Winter Production Meetings
Beginning next week county production meeting season kicks off. Below are those meetings where rice will be covered. For a complete list of meetings, visit here.
- Jan. 9 – 9:30 a.m. HAZEN – Lonoke, Prairie, & Pulaski Co. Caviness Fish Barn.
- Jan. 10 – 8 a.m. WEST MEMPHIS – Crittenden & Mississippi Co. First Methodist Church on Missouri Street.
- Jan. 16-18 – 8 a.m. NORTH LITTLE ROCK – Arkansas Crop Management Conference. Wyndham Hotel.
- Jan. 19 – 8 a.m. WEINER – Poinsett & Craighead Co. Rice Festival Building.
- Jan. 25 – 8 a.m. MORRILTON – River Valley Row Crop Conference. Conway County Fairgrounds.
- Jan. 30 – 8 a.m. McCRORY – Woodruff & Cross Co. Three County Fairgrounds.
- Jan. 30 – 3 p.m. DUMAS – Desha, Drew, & Lincoln Co. Dumas Community Center.
- Jan. 31 – 8:30 a.m. MARIANNA – Phillips & Lee Co. Lon Mann Cotton Research Station.
- Feb. 1 – 8 a.m. NEWPORT – Jackson Co. ASU-Newport.
- Feb. 2 – 8 a.m. POCAHONTAS – Lawrence & Randolph Co. Black River Technical College.
- Feb. 6 – 8 a.m. STANFORD – Green Co. Stanford Baptist Church.
- Feb. 6 – 11:30 a.m. CORNING – Clay Co. M.B. Ainley Community Center.
- Feb. 7 – 9 a.m. PORTLAND – Ashley & Chicot Co. Location TBA.
- Feb. 8 – 8 a.m. STUTTGART – Arkansas Co. Rice Research & Extension Center.
- Feb. 8 – 2 p.m. PINE BLUFF – Jefferson Co. Waterfront Building (Regional Park).
- Feb. 9 – 10 a.m. LEWISVILLE – Southwest Arkansas production meeting. Lafayette County Agriplex.
- Feb. 13 – 8 a.m. White County. Location TBA.
- Feb. 16 – 8 a.m. PALESTINE – St. Francis & Monroe Co. C.R. Smalls.
Pesticide Application Spray Clinics
- Feb. 27 – 8:30 a.m. McGEHEE. Men’s Center in McGehee.
- Feb. 28 – 8:30 a.m. STUTTGART. Rice Research & Extension Center.
- Mar. 1 – 8:30 a.m. BRINKLEY. Brinkley Community Center.
- Mar. 6 – 8:30 a.m. NEWPORT. ASU-Newport.
- Mar. 7 – 8:30 a.m. PARAGOULD. Greene County Fairgrounds.
- Mar. 8 – 8:30 a.m. MANILA. Community meeting room Manila Airport.