Deliveries were light and the market is trending lower. Interest from the commercial shellers and accumulators for domestic trading and from the export market is moderate; while retail gift-pack businesses are fairly active. Trading is moderate. A few growers have decided to put offerings into cold storage until after the New Year.
Most growers expect the harvest to be finished by the Christmas break, weather permitting. Rain and wet conditions in the orchards curtailed field work and snow was reported in the Northern part of the state.
Weather conditions in South Georgia for the week has temperatures ranging with lows in the mid-30s to low 40s and highs in the mid-50s to high 60s. In the Central and Northern areas of the state the forecast shows a cold front coming in with temps in a wide range from the mid-20s to low 40s and daytime highs in the mid-50s to low 60s. Rain is expected for December 15-18.
Small lots of Stuart Blends with 54-58% meat yield (nut count 60-70) sold in a range of about $4.48-4.67 per point, Stuart Blends with 44-50% meat yield (nut count 65-75) sold in a range of about $4.40-4.50 per point. Other small lots of Blends including Schley with 53-57% meat yield sold in a range of about $4.51-4.78 per point.
Prices paid to growers (late afternoon December 5, through late afternoon December 12, 2017) at buyers delivery point or F.O.B. the orchard including direct sales to end users, cents per pound in-shell of generally good quality in lots of 20,000 pounds or less unless otherwise stated.
- Cape Fear (deliveries light) export quality 55% meat yield or better 240-253 54-57% meat yield 227-259 mostly 235-250
- Desirables (deliveries very light) 53-57% meat yield 240-259 mostly 245-251 yard tree lots 150-220 mostly 175-200
- Elliott (deliveries very light) yard tree lots 125-175 mostly 150-175
- Moneymakers (deliveries very light) yard tree lots 100-140 mostly 125
- Schley (deliveries very light) yard tree lots 150-180 fair quality low as 125
- Seedlings (deliveries very light) 43% meat yield 150-190 mostly 150-170 yard tree lots 100-130 fair quality 80
- Stuarts (deliveries very light) export quality 44-48% meat yield (nut count 50-60) 230-245 yard tree lots 100-150 mostly 100-125 few higher
- Sumner (deliveries light) export quality 51-53% meat yield (47-52 nut count) 250-260 48-50% meat yield 216-230
Lots in excess of 20,000 pounds including trailer loads:
- Cape Fear (deliveries very light) export quality 55% meat yield or better 240-253
- Curtis (deliveries very light) 55-56% meat yield 254
- Sumner (deliveries very light) export quality 51-53% meat yield 250-260
- Stuarts (deliveries very light) export quality 44-48% meat yield 230-245