North Alabama growers will be given a chance to learn more about peanut production in the region during 2 upcoming meetings.
- Monday, December 18 at noon at the Sand Mountain Research and Extension Center, 13112 Alabama Highway 68, Crossville.
- Monday, December 18 at 6:30 p.m., North Alabama AgriPlex Heritage center, 1714 Talley Ho Street SW, Cullman.
On the program:
- Dr. Nathan Smith, Clemson Extension Economist, will discuss the peanut farm program and potential to convert “generic” cotton base acres into peanut acres. He also will given an overview on the peanut market.
- Eddie McGriff, Alabama Regional Extension Agent, will provide comparisons of actual crop budgets for peanuts versus cotton, corn and soybeans in north Alabama.
- A representative of Tate Crop Insurance will discuss insuring peanuts in north Alabama.
- A peanut growers’ pantel will include Jimmy and Lance Miller (Blount County farmers, who have been growing peanuts for 9 years). They will be jointed by first-year growers Nick McMichen (Cherokee County) and Wooten Farm (DeKalb County).
- A peanut buyers panel.