Harvest time is just around the corner for Florida pecan growers. Producers will meet in Monticello on Tuesday, September 12, 2017 for the annual field day and Pecan Growers’ Association meeting.
If you’re a pecan grower, or just considering it, the morning’s topics and speakers will be a great opportunity to learn more about the pecan business. The year’s event features guest speakers from the University of Florida, the University of Georgia, and special guest Randy Hudson from Hudson Pecan Company in Ocilla, GA.
Randy will give a first-hand look of the future of the pecan industry from an international perspective.
This is free event for Florida Pecan Growers’ Association members, and $10 for non-members. You will be able to become a member during event registration.
We do ask that you call the Jackson County Extension Office to RSVP at 850-482-9620 or email Matt Lollar at firstname.lastname@example.org, so we know how many to expect for lunch.
Schedule (Eastern Time)
- 9:00 – Registration Opens
- 9:15 – Welcome – Matt Lollar, UF/IFAS Extension, Jackson County
- 9:20 – Tree Spacing & Orchard Layout – Matt Lollar, UF/IFAS Extension, Jackson County
- 9:50 – Stink Bug Management – Russ Mizell, UF/IFAS Entomologist
- 10:20 – Pecan Scab – We’re winning the battle, but will we win the war? – Tim Brenneman, UGA Plant Pathology
- 10:50 – New Pecan Cultivars – Patrick Conner, UGA Plant Breeding
- 11:20 – Future of the Pecan Industry – Randy Hudson, CEO Hudson Pecan Company, Ocilla, GA
- 11:50 – Travel to Simpson Nurseries – 52 Nacoosa Rd, Monticello, FL
- 12:10 – Tour of Simpson Nurseries & Lunch (Included with registration or membership.)
- 1:00 – Annual Meeting, Florida Pecan Growers’ Association
Pesticide Applicator CEUs will be available for field day participants.