The Jackson County Extension Office in collaboration with specialists from Auburn University and the University of Georgia will host a Tri-State Agronomic Scout School on June 8, 2017. The meeting will take place at the Jackson County Agricultural Conference Center (2741 Penn Ave, Marianna, FL 32448), starting with registration at 8:00 AM (CST) and ending with lunch.
CEUs will be available at registration. This event has been approved for Florida pesticide CEUs (up to 3 private or row crop), Georgia pesticide CEUs, Alabama pesticide CEUs, and Certified Crop Advisor (CCA) CEUs.
Speakers include Drs. Ron Smith (cotton), Barry Freeman (cotton), Kathy Flanders (corn), and Tim Reed (soybean) from Auburn University and Dr. Mark Abney (peanut) from the University of Georgia.
It has been several years since the last scout school was held in the Panhandle, and so this meeting will focus on insects pertaining to cotton, corn, soybean, and peanut. Our speakers will include information regarding the description, damage, life cycle, and threshold levels for pests in these different crops. Don’t miss this opportunity to learn from some of the most experienced Extension Crop Entomologists in the Southeast.
One hour of the training will be devoted to cotton, with two speakers having 30-minute blocks each. The corn, soybean, and peanut presentations will each have 30-minute blocks as well. After lunch, participants will have the opportunity to gain hands-on pest identification and crop damage training with the speakers in the demonstration plots (consisting of corn, cotton, soybean, and peanut plants).
This is a sponsored event with no registration fee, however, attendees must pre-register by Monday, June 5th to get an accurate count for lunch. RSVP with Annette Hagans or Ethan Carter at the Jackson County Extension Office 850-482-9620, or by email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Use the following link to print the flyer to put on your refrigerator or bulletin board or to share with others who might be interested in this event:
Schedule of Events
- 8:00 Registration
- 8:30 Cotton Insects- thrips, aphids, etc. (Description, Damage, Life Cycle, Scouting Techniques) Dr. Barry Freeman, Auburn University.
- 9:05 Cotton Insects- caterpillars and stink bugs (Description, Damage, Life Cycle, Scouting Techniques) Dr. Ron Smith, Auburn University.
- 9:40 Corn Insects (Description, Damage, Life Cycle, Scouting Techniques) Dr. Kathy Flanders, Auburn University.
- 10:15 Break
- 10:45 Soybean Insects (Description, Damage, Life Cycle, Scouting Techniques) Dr. Tim Reed, Auburn University.
- 11:20 Peanut Insects (Description, Damage, Life Cycle, Scouting Techniques) Dr. Mark Abney, University of Georgia.
- 12:00 Lunch
- 1:00 Hands-on Field Training (optional)