Arkansas’ vineyard owners and managers will hear updates on pest and disease management for their crop on Nov. 6 at the Arkansas Grape Growers annual conference and trade show.
The event takes place at the Arkansas Tech University-Ozark campus and will be followed by a member banquet from 5 to 8 p.m. at The Gathering Place in Altus.
Threlfall said the association is a non-profit agricultural organization that educates growers, assists with research and promotes viticulture in Arkansas.
“The association promotes research for developing varieties, pre-harvest and postharvest production, marketing, disease control and other aspects of grape growing,” Threlfall said. “We also assist farmers with resources to improve their production and marketing techniques.”
The daytime events at the ATU-Ozark Student Services Conferences Center will include presentations by:
- Wayne Wilcox, a Cornell University grape pathologist who will discuss grape pathology in the East;
- Donn Johnson, professor of entomology at the UA System Division of Agriculture, who will review pest monitoring and pest management;
- Susie Nichols, director of the pesticide division of the Arkansas State Plant Board, who will speak on pesticide regulations for Arkansas vineyards;
- Adriane Barnes, Arkansas Agriculture Department communications director, who will explain uses of social media in agribusiness;
- Doniella Winchell, director of Ohio Wine Producers, who will discuss promoting the grape and wine industry locally;
- A panel discussing pest and disease management. Panelists will be Wilcox, Joe Bishop of Bishop Farms, Audrey House of Chateau Aux Arc and Thomas Post of Post Familie Vineyards.
The evening banquet will feature Winchell as the speaker on leadership and success in grape and wine industries.
Registration for the conference is available at http://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/2303942 or by contacting Threlfall at 479-575-4677 or email@example.com.