The Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Service’s South Plains district is offering another round of farm bill meetings starting Jan. 22, said an AgriLife Extension staffer.
“The meetings, all with the same curriculum, are designed to help producers finalize their farm bill decisions,” said Dr. Jackie Smith, AgriLife Extension economist at Lubbock.
Smith said the meetings are a collaborative effort of AgriLife Extension, the U.S. Department of Agriculture Farm Service Agency and area commodity groups. All meetings are free and open to the public.
“By February 27, the first two decisions producers must make have to be submitted to their local county FSA office,” Smith said. “These two decisions are the base reallocation and the yield update for covered commodities. Then by March 28, producers need to make their selection on whether they will participate in the Agricultural Risk Coverage (ARC) or Price Loss Coverage (PLC) for covered commodities.”
Smith said at each upcoming meeting, the designated county FSA director will discuss the sign-up process. Smith will provide assistance in the decision making process and Shawn Wade from Plains Cotton Growers will discuss the new insurance components of the 2014 farm bill.
Additional meeting dates and details are:
- Jan. 22, Seminole, 9 a.m.-noon, Party House, U.S. Highway 385 N. between Seminole and Seagraves.
- Jan. 23, Levelland, 9 a.m.-noon, Armory Building, Ball Park Drive and McKinley St., Levelland.
- Jan. 27, Tahoka, 9 a.m.-noon, Center for Housing and Community Development, 1400 Ave. K, Tahoka.
- Jan. 28, Plains, 9 a.m.-noon, Plains Community Building, 1006 Ave. G, Plains.
- Jan. 29, Brownfield, 1:30-4:30 p.m., American Legion, Seagraves Highway, Brownfield.
- Feb. 2, Lamesa, 9 a.m.-noon, Forrest Park Building, 814 S. Houston St., Lamesa.
- Feb. 6, Lubbock, 9 a.m.-noon, Texas A&M AgriLife Research and Extension Center, Lubbock, 1102 E. Farm-to-Market Rd. 1294.
- Feb. 9, Morton, 9 a.m.-noon, AgriLife Extension office in Cochran County, 200 W. Taylor Ave., Morton.
For further information, contact Smith at 806-746-6101, firstname.lastname@example.org or call the AgriLife Extension office nearest the meeting location.