Far West Texas cotton production takes center stage during the annual Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Service Permian Basin Cotton Conference set for 8 a.m.-3:30 p.m. Jan. 20 at the Martin County Community Center in Stanton.
Counties involved in conducting the conference and trade show include Martin, Midland, Glasscock, Upton, Reagan and Howard.
Individual preregistration is $20 by Jan. 17 and $30 at the door.
For more information and to RSVP, contact the AgriLife Extension office in Martin County at 432-756-3316.
Five Texas Department of Agriculture continuing education units will be available, pending the department’s approval. The pending credits are: two general, two integrated pest management and one laws and regulations.
“This program is tailored specifically for our region,” said Raymond Quigg, AgriLife Extension agent in Upton County. “Our continuing goal for this conference is to offer our producers the most up-to-date information they’ll need to help them raise a successful cotton crop in the coming year.”
Topics and presenters during the morning session will include:
- – Farm Service Agency Update, Jill Halfmann, Martin County Farm Service Agency.
- – Legislative Updates on Agriculture and Cotton Policy, presented by a representative of Congressman Mike Conaway’s office, Midland, and Richard King, National Cotton Council, Lubbock.
- – Cotton Variety Trials and Other Research Data, Dr. David Drake, AgriLife Extension agronomist, San Angelo.
- – Farm Bill Update, Dr. Jackie Smith, AgriLife Extension economist, Lubbock.
- – Laws and Regulations, to be presented by a Texas Department of Agriculture representative.
- – New Seed Varieties and Technologies, to be offered by attending seed company representatives.
- – Weed Resistance, Dr. Peter Dotray, AgriLife Extension agronomist, Lubbock.
- – Seeding Rates and Dicamba, 2,4-D Resistant Cotton, Dr. Gaylon Morgan, AgriLife Extension state cotton specialist, College Station.
- – Cotton Market Outlook, Dr. John Robinson, AgriLife Extension state cotton economist, College Station.
For more information, contact any of the participating AgriLife Extension offices. Participating countiesand their respective AgriLife Extension agents are: Martin County, Parks Tucker, 432-756-3316; Upton County, Quigg, 432-693-2313, Glasscock County, Rebel Royall, 432-354-2381; Howard County, Tommy Yeater, 432-264-2236; and Reagan County, Chase McPhaul, 325-884-2335.