North Carolina: Farm Transition Conference Jan. 21 at Plymouth
Mount Olive College’s Lois G. Britt Agribusiness Center is partnering with NC Cooperative Extension Centers in Beaufort, Hyde, Washington and Tyrrell counties to conduct a farm transition conference for area farmers and landowners on Tuesday, Jan. 21, 2014, at the Vernon James Research and Extension Center located at 207 Research Station Road in Plymouth.
The meeting will begin at 8:30 am and end at 3:00 pm.
This effort will be a comprehensive review of farm transition and the tools and resources that are available to assist landowners with farm transition and estate planning.
Dr. Ronald Hanson, a nationally recognized farm succession specialist from the University of Nebraska-Lincoln as well as several state and local estate planning specialists will be on the agenda.
The agenda for the workshop:
- 8:30 am – Registration
- 9:00 – Welcome and Introductions
- 9:15 – The Changing Landscape of Agriculture – The Need for Transition Planning – Debbie Hamrick
- 9:45 – So You Thought You Were Buying the Family Farm: Guess Again – Ron Hanson
- 10:45 – Break
- 11:00 – Keeping Your Farm in the Family for the Next Generation: Is There a Succession Plan? – Ron Hanson
- 12:15 – Catered Lunch; visit with Conference sponsors and vendors
- 1:00 pm -The Pros, The Cons, The Realities of Asset Transfer – Andrew Branan
- 2:15 – Present Use Value Tax Program – Tony Simpson, NC Dept. of Revenue
- 2:30 – What You Need to Know about Probate – Denise Moulden, Clerk of Court Washington County
- 3:00 – Forestry – Do You Know of Your Timber Basis -Rick Hamilton, Retired NC State Extension Forestry and Forestry Consultant
- 3:30 – Adjourn
Registration is required by January 15. For more information and to register, call Pam Allen at the Beaufort County Extension Office at 252-946-0111. You can also register on-line here.
A registration fee of $10 for individuals and $5 for each additional family member will be collected at the event. A workbook and other materials, along with lunch, will be provided to all registered attendees. This workshop is open to all farmers and landowners.
Additional information about upcoming events and resources can be found here or by contacting the Lois G. Britt Agribusiness Center at: 919-658-7510.
AgFax Weekend: IRSPayroll Changes; FFA Drone Regs; British Farmer Subsidies and More…