Kansas: KSU’s 100th Annual Cattlemen’s Day Slated March 1
Kansas State University’s Cattlemen’s Day always has numerous events associated with it, but this year’s 100th Annual Cattlemen’s Day on March 1 will be special in several ways.
“We’re kicking off the Henry C. Gardiner Lectureship with inaugural speaker Steve Hunt of U.S. Premium Beef,” said Ken Odde, head of K-State’s Department of Animal Sciences and Industry. “Henry Gardiner is a visionary leader in beef cattle genetics. We are pleased to honor him by launching this lecture series in his name.”
Gardiner, widely considered a pioneer in beef genetics, is founder of Gardiner Angus Ranch in Ashland, Kan.
Cattlemen’s Day begins at 8 a.m. in K-State’s Weber Hall with a commercial trade show and educational exhibits. The program begins at 10 a.m. in Weber 123.
Hunt, who guided U.S. Premium Beef as its chief executive officer from 1996 through January 2013, and now serves as an advisor to the company, will present, “Designing Meats and Meals.”
Other topics and presenters will include:
- Keeping Your Farm in the Family for the Next Generation – Ron Hanson, University of Nebraska-Lincoln;
- Cattle Market and Industry Short-Run Outlook and Long Term-Prospective – Ted Schroeder and Glynn Tonsor – K-State; and
Afternoon breakout sessions will include:
- Ammoniation: Stretching your Forage Supply – Dale Blasi and Justin Waggoner – K-State;
- To Clone a Dead Steer, As Long as It’s Not Too Dead – David Grieger, K-State;
- Beef Selection Systems to Meet Market Trends – Bob Weaber and Mike MacNeil– K-State;
- Heifer Development in a High Cost Environment – Sandy Johnson – K-State;
- Developing a Strategic Plan for Farm Family Succession – Ron Hanson, University of Nebraska-Lincoln and Producer Panel: Our Approach – moderated by Gregg Hadley, K-State;
- Is All Ground Beef Created Equally? – John Unruh, K-State.
The day also features a ribbon cutting and dedication ceremony for the new Stanley Stout Center from 3-4 p.m. just ahead of the 36th Annual Legacy Sale. A celebration social will be held in the Stanley Stout Center immediately following the sale.
More information and online registration is available here.