AgFax Peanut Review: South Georgia Farmers Upset by Delayed Legal Hearing
- Stephanie Springer of WALB News reports that South Georgia farmers gathered at a Lee County courthouse in support of a peanut farmer seeking legal action against a man he claims stole his peanuts. This was the 3rd hearing in the case, and the farmers gathered were disappointed to learn it would once again be extended.
- The Quad-City Times reports that food pantries in Illinois and Iowa have been having a difficult time obtaining peanut butter do to higher prices. The community of Clinton, Iowa is holding a peanut butter drive to supplement their local pantries with this hard to obtain commodity.
The Lighter Side
- George Austin reports on SouthCoastToday.com that a local nut shop in Swansea, Mass. has received so many requests for peanuts for peanut brittle over the years that this year the owner has decided to hold a contest to see who in the area makes the best peanut brittle.
Earlier this week
- The Portales News-Tribune reports that the Sunland Inc. peanut butter plant in Portales, New Mexico remains closed to the disgruntlement of the citizens who rely on the plant for jobs and other economic incentives. Sunland says it has been trying to work with the FDA to get the plant back up and running but has been unable to get a hearing date set or any information on FDA’s ongoing investigation.
- The West Fargo Pioneer is celebrating the holidays with 12 days of holiday snacks, and Daniel Determan provides this recipe for a quick and easy peanut butter treat.
- The Associated Press reports that Peanuts creator Charles Schultz has a collection of love letters up for auction from a brief romantic affair that influenced some of his strips. The collection includes original drawings of his beloved characters, primarily Charlie Brown, Snoopy, and Lucy.
- USDA’s weekly national posted prices for peanuts.
- Mujahid Suliman reported on NPR that despite peanut farmers’ best efforts there is still little demand for peanuts and peanut butter in Europe.
- Yasmin Rammohan of Shape.com offers a healthy peanut dip recipe all the way from India.
- The Outstanding Georgia Young Peanut Farmer Award for 2012 is accepting nominations now through January 4 for any active peanut farmer in the state of Georgia under the age of 45, with the winner to be announced January 17.
The ICE Dec and Mar contracts gave back 160 and 87 points on the week, respectively, as last week’s inversion between the two contracts gave way to partial carry. Well,