Georgia Pecans: Buyers Looking For Premium Nuts For Asian Exports
Mild temperatures prevailed the week of October 23-25. There have been increases in interest in the export trade business, particularly from the Asian markets.
Buying interest is moderate for commercial sheller use as shellers continue to utilize inventories on hand, however interest appears to be picking up for next week as inquiries are increasing. Buying interest from end users for in-shell gift-pack retail use is fairly active as users are looking to buy high quality pecans and are preparing for the upcoming holiday season. Offerings were light this week for larger volume lots, while door trade deliveries have increased.
Some of the earlier lots delivered had excess moisture and early sprouting issues with some discoloration and rot. Some growers expect a lighter volume out of the South Georgia area than earlier estimates, while the Central and Northern areas appear about the same or possibly have an increase over previous estimates. Overall quality and condition of recent lots are reported to be better than the earlier deliveries. Prices are about steady as compared to the last report on Tuesday. Unless otherwise stated, lots reported are of generally good quality and some reported as export quality.
Prices paid to growers (late afternoon Tuesday, October 23, 2012 thru late afternoon Thursday, October 25, 2012) at buyers delivery point or f.o.b. the orchard including direct sales to end users, cents per pound in-shell of generally good quality pecans in lots of 20,000 pounds or less unless otherwise stated.
- Cape Fear yard tree lots of generally good quality 100
- Desirable export quality 51% meat yield or better 230-257, generally good quality 50% meat yield or better 170-210 mostly 190-200, yard tree lots of generally good quality 100-125 occasional higher
- Elliot yard tree lots of generally good quality 100-125
- Moneymaker yard tree lots of generally good quality 50-60 few higher
- Seedling yard tree lots of generally good quality 50-60 occasional high as 70
- Schley export quality 55-58% meat yield 190-200, generally good quality 55% meat yield or better 154-187, yard tree lots of generally good quality 125 occasional higher
- Stuart export quality 45-48% meat yield 180-200, generally good quality 45% meat yield or better 150-180, yard tree lots of generally good quality 100-125 occasional lower
Lots in excess of 20,000 pounds including trailer load lots:
- Desirable export quality 50% meat yield or better 240-260
- Moneymaker deliveries insufficient to establish market
- Schley export quality 55-58% meat yield or better 190-200, generally good quality 55% meat yield or better 154-187
- Stuart export quality 45-48% meat yield180-200, generally good quality 45% meat yield or better 150-180
Sen. Jon Tester, D-Mont., and other Democratic officeholders from rural areas said at the Democratic National Convention here that rural America needs Hillary Clinton rather than Donald Trump as president.